Once Upon a Time, Chat Time!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fairy Tale Time

The location of Storybrooke

Go down

The location of Storybrooke Empty The location of Storybrooke

I am not sure where to post this but this seems as good place as any. Especially if we go further into the series and the curse is eventually broken what happens to Storybrooke? Is there going to be a shock for residents living near Storybrook to suddenly see a town that had not been previously there?

Anyways continuing on...

Recently I started writing a OUAT story
Spoiler:
and had decided on a location due to several factors (and a lot of research).

However I noticed a picture of Jefferson's map. The first map I saw was from the OUAT podcast:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I immediately noticed that the highway was a single digit number and that on the upper part of the map there seemed to be some sort of body of water--either a pond or a lake. On the lower part it was very much an ocean.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This capture from Hat Trick sort of gave me a better idea of the layout. I suppose it was due to how it was laid out. Anyways onto my theory.

I looked at the Maine coastline through the help of Google Maps may have an idea of where in our world where StoryBrooke might be. This theory is based on the assumption that the curse can only take over the land but not so much as to create something that is not there i.e. an ocean in the area (as opposed to my own "universe" that I had decided to go with though with great trepidation to be honest).

So where might it be located? Storybrooke may be located on Acadia National Park. On the left side of the park there is a pond called Upper Hadlock Pond and if you go up on Google Maps you will see a small inlet from Somes Sound.

Why I think this might be plausible is that it is the only area that has a large national park near an area that most tourists are better familiar with: Bar Harbor. I have been to Bar Harbor and Arcadia National Park and they are really nice areas to travel and visit. It also matches the layout on the map.

Not only that but with it being an island and one bridge connecting it to the mainland it could be a way of limiting traffic and population density only enough to keep Storybrooke protected (mostly from those of us from this world who might have some ability of sight --see a glimmer that shouldn't be there, a shadow figure, a voice here and here etc).

Though the next step would be to see if there are any distinguishable landmarks or names that might be a reference to something? I think that will have to be my next area of research. If you can find anything definitely tweet about it, do a facebook status, anything (:

Also the distance from Boston to Bar Harbor is less than 300 hundred miles and would take about 5 hours but assuming that Emma may drive a bit faster i.e. she could arrive in Bar Harbor in 3.75 hours if driving 80 miles per hour. Plus it would be a better known area to travel.
playarita
playarita

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

The location of Storybrooke :: Comments

CarolSmart

Post 11/25/2012, 3:26 pm by CarolSmart

Wow! I'm like you when it comes to my favorite magical 'worlds'...I like to dig into them and imagine (okay fantasize Blushing ) how/where they would 'fit' into the real world, if they really existed here...

I do the same thing with researching the parts of the stories that are actual places, history, etc...

Doing that really adds to the enjoyment of favorite shows, books, etc...

Your fan fiction looks to have a great plot, but you will need to let me know when it's complete, because I absolutely hate cliff-'hanging'....
.....My daughter's the same way, we have learned, with new books that look good, to find out if they are first in a series before reading and if they are, we wait until all the books are out before reading the first one (The Harry Potter's and Percy Jackson's taught us that Very Happy )

Back to top Go down